Huntington Estate, 1911

By Levi Clancy for לוי on
updated

▶︎ View related▼︎ Tap to hide
In 1911, The large Beaux Arts mansion (now the Huntington Art Gallery), designed by architect Myron Hunt, was completed.

In 1903, Huntington and his partners buy the 500 acres of the Shorb estate. In 1906, Arabella sees the Shorb estate and decides she and Huntington should establish a new home at its location. In 1910, Huntington announced his decision to retire in order to devote time to his book and art collections and the landscaping of the 600-acre ranch. He operated the ranch as a commercial enterprise for several years, later selling more than half the acreage. The mansion was completed a year later.

In 1913, Huntington creates the city of San Marino. Huntington married Arabella Duval Huntington, the widow of his uncle Collis. She was Henry’s age and shared his interests in collecting. As one of the most important art collectors of her generation, she was highly influential in the development of the art collection now displayed in the former mansion.

In 1919, Henry and Arabella Huntington signed the indenture that transferred their San Marino property and collections to a nonprofit educational trust, creating The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens. In 1924, Arabella Huntington dies. Buried in the mausoleum, designed by John Russell Pope, who later designed the Jefferson Memorial in Washington, D.C. Henry Huntington dies in 1927. Buried with Arabella in the mausoleum.