By Levi Clancy for לוי on
Burying ground established at the outskirts of the new Puritan settlement. Called simply the burying place until Copps' Hill Burying Ground opened and it was referred to at the old burying place.
Burying ground first fenced. As its boundaries changed, new fences were constructed over the next two centuries. The current fence was built in 1854.
The opening of additional burying grounds prompted town selectmen to pass ordinances barring burials at the Old Burying Ground. However, rapid population expansion led to burials continuing until around 1896.
From this time it started to be called the Chapel Burying Ground as its neighbor was the King's Chapel despite being unaffiliated with that or any church.
The subway ventilation shaft in the southwest corner was built when Boston's subway system became the first in the country. Disturbed human remains were reburied in another part of the burying ground.
Burials stop. 600 gravestones and 29 tabletop tombs marked the more than 1,000 people buried.