Glendale

By Levi Clancy for לוי on
updated

▶︎ View related▼︎ Tap to hide
Glendale is home to the Americana and the Glendale Galleria.
Glendale abounds with great 20th century features.
Tap to open
Glendale is also home to lots of Armenians.

Historic places

Casa Adobe de San Rafael

Casa Adobe de San Rafael
1330 Dorothy Dr
Glendale, CA 91202
(818) 502 - 9080
Open daily: 8a to dusk
Tours, Sep - June: first Sundays, 1p - 3p
Tours, Jul - Aug: every Sunday, 1p - 3p

Located on a 1.6 acre park, Casa Adobe de San Rafael was built c 1870 by Tomas Sanchez, former sheriff of Los Angeles County. The home is built of adobe blocks to form walls, which were then covered with stucco. In 1875, the property was sold and the home was abandoned, left to decay. In 1930, the Casa was purchased by the California Medicinal Wine Company. The intention was to tear down the Casa and the old eucalyptus trees, but local neighborhood and community members stopped the demolition. The City of Glendale purchased the Casa in 1930 and by 1932 it was fully refurbished with 19th century furnishings.

Catalina Verdugo Adobe

Catalina Verdugo Adobe
2211 Bonita Dr
Glendale, CA 91208
(818) 244 - 2841
Open: daily, 8a - dusk
Tours: by appointment only

Located on a 1.3 acre park in a residential neighborhood at the foot of Verdugo Mountains, the Catalina Verdugo Adobe is the oldest structure in the City of Glendale. As with many early structures, its construction date is uncertain and ranges from 1828 to 1860. It was the home of Catalina Verdugo, who owned much of today's northeast Glendale along with her brother Julio. Their father, Don Jose Maria Verdugo, was the original recipient of Rancho San Rafael (the Spanish land grant encompassing much of modern-day Glendale, Burbank and Eagle Rock). The Adobe originally consisted of the main room and south wing, while the north wing was added in the early 1900s under the ownership of land developed F P Newport. In 1946, the property was sold to Dr Ernest Bashor, and his family remained there until it was sold to the City of Glendale in 1989. The grounds contain the remnants of the Oak of Peace, where in 1847 a meeting was held that led to the Treaty of Cahuenga being signed a few days later to end the Mexican-American war.

Brand Park

Doctors House Museum

Doctors House Museum & Gazebo
Brand Park, 1601 W Mountain St
Glendale, CA 91201
(818) 242 - 7447
Open Sundays 2p - 4p
(closed for July, holidays, bad weather)
Suggested donation: $2

The Doctors House Museum is an authentically restored Queen Anne-Eastlake style two-story home built circa 1888. Four early doctors owned it in succession, giving the house its name. It was later occupied by silent screen icon Neil Shipman and her family in the early 1900s. The original home stood at 921 East Wilson in central Glendale. When it was threatened with demolition in 1979, community activists right away incorporated as the Glendale Historical Society (in 1979 Oct 24), moved the house to its present location in 1980, spent thousands of hours to renovate the home, and dedicated the Doctors House to the City of Glendale on 1982 Sep 12.

Shoseian "Whispering Pine" Teahouse & Friendship Garden

Shoseian Teahouse & Friendship Garden
Brand Park, 1601 W Mountain St
Glendale, CA 91201
(626) 390 - 0633
Garden: M - H, 10a - 3p
Teahouse: Reservation only

The teahouse came to be built through the combined efforts of Glendale and its Japanese sister-city Higashi-Osaka, to represent goodwill and lasting peace and friendship between people of the United States and Japan. Initial support for the teahouse and gardens was provided by Dr Yamazaki of Higashi-Osaka. It was constructed by in 1974 by architect Hayahiko Takase, with a blend of eastern and western design for Glendale's cross-cultural community. The name Shoseian ("Whispering Pine Teahouse") was given by Genshitsu Sen, the Fifteenth Grand Tea Master of the Urasenke School of Tea in Japan. It is a traditional teahouse, designated an official Tearoom, one of the few open to the public in the United States. The garden surrounds the Teahouse with a koi pond and Japanese-style garden, all nestled at the foot of the Verdugo Mountains.

levi.life|1505169975_LAT5PKUL8P
close

Tap to open
levi.life|1505169975_LAT5PKUL8P
close
Tap to open
levi.life|1505169976_32T3G8W7CN
close