Everett Eugene Clancy

By Levi Clancy for לוי on

▶︎ View related▼︎ Tap to hide
Everett Eugene Clancy was born December 18, 1923 in Maine to Estella Bernice McKinney and an unknown Mr. Clancy.

His SSN was 007-12-3080. He was named after Estella's father, though she likely had few memories of him since he died by the time she was four years old.

US Army service

Everett went into the military during World War II, enlisting 1942/02/22 in Portland, Maine as a Private: "enlistment for the duration of the War or other emergency, plus six months."

He had completed two years of high school, was single without dependents and was 5'7 and 119 pounds. He was a PFC in US ARMY WORLD WAR II. He was released 1954/05/28.

He was in the Battery D 482rd AAA Bn

Sue mentions that he rose to the rank of Sergeant. His specialty was as a diesel mechanic.

Everett and Chiyo

He traveled much during the war, eventually meeting Chiyo.

Everett called his children his little darlings -- "These are my little darlings," he would say, even if they were running about. "Evies little darlings," his aunties and cousins would call them. (Evie sounds like Ehv-ee.)

Until David was about ten or eleven years old, Everett would bring him along to work in Portland at Williams Bros. (Presumably this was during the seasons when school was not in session, or perhaps on weekends.) There, he would bring in big ships on a tugboat and then weld repairs. Everett would bring David onto the tugboat and show him how to set up the ropes and whatnot. Everett would call David his right-hand man -- "This is my right-hand man." The captain or something or the ship would sit David at a table and serve him breakfast.

Health troubles

He developed emphysema and medication led to some dementia.

Everett had one lung removed due to emphysema and was in and out of Togas Veteran's Hospital in Augusta for eight years. He had five children: Mary Nishihira Clancy, Jeannie Clancy, David Damon Clancy (named after his mother's stepfather Damon Hall), Susan Chiyo Clancy and John Clancy.

He died 1964/06/29, survived by his wife and five children, and is buried in Augusta at the Maine Veterans Memorial Cemetery (Section D, Row 4, Site 3) findagrave.com.


David's final memories of Everett are melancholy.

David had found he could make more money working than going to college. He did audit some courses, and worked as a nurse in a psychiatric hospital, but he was drawn to hard work, hard fun and bigger money. He traveled around a lot working and did not see his father much toward the end. However, one day he visited with some friends and he could tell his father was very weakened. He was not strong enough to work on the dam, but he invited David to go down there with him. David could tell that his father wanted to tell him something; he could hear it in his voice, see it in his eyes. David believes that his father wanted to give him some final words, some last directions. David said he would head down in a little bit, so one of David's friends drove Everett down to the dam on the little tractor, but then David was distracted and wound up leaving without going. David feels that he "broke his heart" before he died, and he seemed to feel guilty that perhaps this hastened his father's death, or stole away some of the happiness he might have felt at the end.

Jeannie also had final memories.

Jeannie went to go see her father the night before he died. He was not talking. He was not conscious. She wishes she remembered him healthy, or has some heartfelt final moment clenching his hand, but what sticks out in her memory the most is his respirator. It had an accordion and a chamber, and would push air into his lungs and then pull it back out in order to keep him alive. It also pulled out a lot of phlegm. She remembers walking into the hospital room, looking at the respirator and wondering what all this goop in the chamber was; she looked a little closer and saw it was fluid snot from her lungs. "Ew," she thought -- but it was interesting, it was different, and so the memory stuck.

Mary had just finished her education when she passed away.

Mary went to a combined baccalaureate and CLS program. When she finished her CLS training, she drove back to Sebago to see her family that same night. She arrived late -- perhaps 8p or 9p -- and when she mentioned going to the hospital to see Everett, her mother told her to wait until the morning. That night around 4a, the phone rang and when Mary answered it was the hospital telling her that her father had passed away. There was a glimmer of sadness in her face and voice, almost as though her instinct had told her to go and she felt some regret for not going that extra mile even if it meant going alone to see him.

With her father dead and her education complete, she felt it was time for a change. The unfolding of these events precisely when they did was her primary impetus for relocating to California.