John Ebenezer Hancock House (Number Ten Marshall Street)

By Levi Clancy for לוי on

▶︎ View related▼︎ Tap to hide
YearOverview

1660

Site for home of William Courser, first Town Crier of Boston.

1737

Home of James Davenport, brother-in-law of Benjamin Franklin.

1764-1785

Building owned by John Hancock.

1779

The Continental Troops were paid here by John's brother Paymaster Ebenezer Hancock, who resided and had offices at this address. Armed soldiers ringed the building to protect the two million silver crowns loaned to the revolutionary government by Louis XVI of France and stored within the building.

1796-1963

Bootmaker's Shop, owned and operated by the Fuller and Learnard families.

1976

Purchased for restoration by Trial Attorneys Edward & Frederick Swartz, Trustees.

1977

Designed National Historic Landmark.

1979

Restoration of the oldest brick building in Boston completed.

1979 - present

Home base of the firm Swartz & Swartz, trial lawyers, consumer advocates and authors.