Fenyes Mansion

By Levi Clancy for לוי on

▶︎ View related▼︎ Tap to hide

Robert David Farquhar

Robert David Farquhar was (February 23rd, 1872 in Brooklyn - December 6th, 1967 in Berkeley) attained a B.A. from Harvard in 2893, a B.S. from M.I.T. in 1895 and a diploma from Paris' Ecole Nationale des Beaux Arts in 1901.

Farquhar travelled to England, Germany, Italy, Egypt, Greece, Yugoslavia and Switzerland. Upon returning to New York, he began as a draftsman at the prestigious firms of Hunt & Hunt and then Carrere & Hastings.

Farquhar married in 1903 and moved to California in 1905 to set up his up firm; he remained self-employed until retiring in 1953.

He and his family lived in Santa Monica first but then moved to Los Angeles. He was commissioned by Dr. Adelbert Fenyes and his wife Eva Scott Muse Fenyes to build the Fenyes Mansion at 170 Orange Grove Avenue, on the corner of Walnut. Farquhar went on to design the Festival Hall in San Francisco in 1915, the library at the University of Nevada in Reno in 1927, Beverly Hill High School in 1928 and many other notable works. His Clark Memorial Library (1924), the Clark Mausoleum (1924) and the California Club (1930) were awarded by the American Institute of Architects, Southern California Chapter. In 1941 and 1942, Farquhar even designed the Pentago in Washington, D.C. in association with Ed. Bergstrom.

In 1929, the Farquhars and their three children moved to a home on California Terrace in Pasadena.

He joined the Los Angeles Country Club, Midwick Country Club, California Club and the American Institute of Architects, Southern California Chapter. He retired as a widower in 1953 at the age of 81, and moved to Berkeley to live with his brother Francis P. Farquhar.

Sylvanus Marston

Sylvanus B. Marston (October 6, 1883 Oakland, CA - 1946) established his architectural office in Pasadena in 1908, making him one of Pasadena's earliest architects. Marston was the son of Frank Augustine and Annie (Palmer) Marston. Sylvanus Marston's grandfather had arrived in San Francisco during the Gold Rush of 1849, and built many lighthouses as well as the first U.S. Building at the Presidio in San Francisco. He was accompanied by his brother (Sylvanus' grand uncle), who became a member of the San Francisco Vigilance Committee.

Marston and his parents arrived in Pasadena while he was still very young. He graduated from Pasadena High School in 1901, then attended Pomona College for two years before heading to Cornell University, from where he graduated in 1907 with an architecture degree. He moved back to Pasadena the following year to work in Pasadena. Marston took on two junior partners; Mr. G. B. Van Pelt, starting in 1914; and Mr. E. W. Maybury, starting in 1921. Marston served as president of the Southern California Chapter of the American Institute of Architects from 1940-1941; and was a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects. Marston's designs characteristically had barrel ceilings like that in his 1911 addition to the Fenyes Mansion.